01 March 2014

March

Hi, y'all.

I'm setting myself some goals this month. They aren't really concrete goals, in a strict sense, but more like attitude changes that need to happen.

Lent is right around the corner, but I have a difficult time making attitude changes part of my Lenten sacrifices. I have a hard time with Lent in general, but that's a subject for another post. :)

1) Not feeling guilty for taking care of myself - I have special circumstances that need to be accommodated, not only by other people, but by myself. That is part of who I am - it isn't my fault, it isn't something to feel bad about. I just need to do it. And be ok with doing it.

2)  Not beating myself up for getting hurt or sick - if I am sick or injured (regardless of whether or not it was preventable; that falls under the above category), I need to deal with it. I need to take care of myself and not feel like I'm bad because of it. I have an over-active guilt-complex. I need to let that go.

3) Not being horribly petrified of every human being - this is going to take more than the month of March to accomplish. It's complicated and deeply-rooted. It may require professional help. It's a problem and it needs to be fixed... I've accomplished a lot by acknowledging that.

4) Growing a thicker skin; not taking everything personally - this is super tied-up with the previous one. People aren't out to get me or constantly judging me. I need to do what I believe is right, the way I believe is right and not give a darn what the people around me say... or might possibly be thinking. (caveat: this is all to be done within reason. Obviously situational awareness and willingness to listen are important)

Tall orders, one and all. But I have to start sometime.

No comments: