14 July 2014

Cinnamon Pie

I was watching Psych the other day. Shawn and Gus go to the town of Dual Spires to solve a murder per usual, etc, etc, but the point that stuck with me was the cinnamon pie they kept eating. I was so excited that I paused the episode halfway through to google cinnamon pie recipes. I didn't find anything satisfying, so no pie was made.

I was disappointed with this result, but days later the thought was still nagging me. I really, really wanted some cinnamon pie. Back to the internet I went. I looked and looked for a recipe that seemed yummy to me, but once again, I came up empty handed and, thus, empty stomached.

So I made one up today.


I just had a slice and ohmygoodness it is so good. You have to like cinnamon and you have to like delicious desserts, but this is awesome. And I'm going to share my awesome brainchild because you deserve to have deliciousness in your life, too!

Ingredients:
     Filling:
          2 Tbsp butter
          3/4 cup white sugar
          1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
          2 Tbsp flour
          1 cup almond milk
          4 eggs
          4 Tbsp cinnamon (this is a rough estimate, I just dumped a whole bunch in because I love the stuff)
          1 Tbsp vanilla

     Topping:
          1/4 cup flour
          1/2 cup oats
          1/2 stick butter
          2 Tbsp brown sugar (not packed... because who packs tablespoons?)
          2 Tbsp cinnamon

Prep:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Grease and sugar pan*
- Thoroughly beat all filling ingredients together. Batter will be liquid with some chunks of butter floating around if you didn't melt the butter prior to mixing. I didn't melt mine and I'm not sure what melting it would do. Probably nothing, but I have no data to support any theory.
- Pour in pan
- To make the topping, chop your butter into bits and then combine it with all the other stuff. I use my fingers and mush it.
- Top pie with streusel. It's going to partially submerge and you won't be able to spread it around, so you have to sprinkle it around carefully. (Or, in my case, sorta carefully until you get impatient and start dumping it.)
- Bake for 45 minutes. If it starts to burn before it sets, cover it in foil. I didn't have this problem; it was perfectly done after 45 minutes. 

* You could probably use nonstick spray, too, but I'm allergic to that stuff. Actually, you probably don't need to grease the pan given the consistency of the pie, but I hate when desserts are cemented to the pan and you lose edible deliciousness. Skip greasing at your own risk of less fatteningness.

N.B. - I know I called this a pie and then neglected to include crust. I decided to put my calories towards a delicious streusel topping rather than a plain ol' crust, so that's why that happened.

p.s. - I apologize to all of my celiac and otherwise gluten intolerant friends that this would be a no-go for you. Maybe you can tweak it a bit and still have cinnamon bliss?

No comments: