28 March 2015

Mini Buttermilk Biscuit Tarts with Almond Custard & Fruit

Hello, friends! Happy Saturday!

This is a combination of a braggy post with an informational post. I made these scrumptious little treats this morning.


Braggy part: I didn't have a recipe, but that is becoming a more common occurrence as I expand my cooking experience.
Informational part: I won't be sharing everything with you (a girl must have her secrets), but I will share these sweets with you because I love you. :)

Ingredients:
- Trader Joe's Refrigerated Pop-N-Fresh Buttermilk biscuits
 
[it is so rare that I can use a packaged mix or pre-prepared food that I hope you'll pardon the use of such things in this recipe. I know that I hate when I am searching for a recipe, and it says "easy one bowl cake!" and the first ingredient is "boxed cake mix"... that isn't from scratch, guys. But these biscuits are soy free and the ease of baking them is so novel to me. Just give me this one, k?]

- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2T cornstarch
- teaspoon almond extract
- cup of almond milk
- fresh or frozen fruit of choice (I used frozen, which may explain the extra juices that bubbled up in these tasty treats)

Custard:
2. In a medium pot over medium heat, whisk together sugar & corn starch. Add almond extract and almond milk.
3. Stir until thickened and bubbly. Turn heat down to low and continue to stir for another minute or so. Take the pot off the stove and temper your egg yolk by whisking some of the hot mixture into it. Then add warmed yolk + custard back to the custard in the pot and whisk vigorously, keeping the egg yolk from scrambling. Return pot to low heat, simmer and stirring constantly for another minute or two. Set aside finished custard.

Fruit:
1. Slice, pit, or otherwise prepare fruit to be put in the custard tarts. I used frozen strawberries and frozen cherries.

Biscuit prep:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit (as per directions on pop-n-fresh can)
2. Lightly grease nonstick muffin tin.
3. Pop open that can-o-biscuits. Try to avoid screaming. I'm still working on that step.
4. Split each of the 8 biscuits in half (so you have two short biscuits circles rather than one tall one.


Assembly:
1. Stretch and work the biscuit dough so that it fits like a pie crust, covering the bottom and sides of each muffin mold.
2. Whisk the custard that's been sitting for a while to make sure it's a smooth texture. Spoon about a tablespoon of custard into each mini pie crust.
3. Place fruit of choice on custard. It will sink into your custard a bit, but that's a good thing.
4. Bake for 16-18 minutes (until the biscuit crust is golden brown.
5. Cool for 10 or 15 minutes and then remove from muffin tin.
6. Refrigerate to chill custard.
7. Enjoy your culinary experience!



p.s. - these things are only 3 WW points (new system) each. So it's a totally justifiable snack.



1 comment:

Bob T Bear (esq) said...

They look really scrummy!