27 May 2009

Growing Pains

Over the past nine months, I've learned a lot about myself. It's a pretty typical occurrence, I believe... it follows naturally from the complete transplantation that I underwent. In "The Incredibles," the boss is explaining to Bob that the company is a clock in which "all the little cogs mesh together." At home, I know exactly what my cog is supposed to be. That isn't to say I execute my function perfectly, but rather that I know what it's supposed to be. At school, my cog has remained rather elusive. I have a lot to learn still, but I did discover a particular peeve of mine: lack of communication.

My family communicates incredibly well. Anything and everything that is going on is shared freely amongst the five of us. We don't have secrets generally and if you have a problem with someone, you address it. I thought this - the latter part specifically - was typical. It isn't. I, over the course of the school year, managed to annoy/get on the wrong side of several people. It wasn't intentional, thus, when these people started avoiding me and/or snapping at me, I had absolutely no idea why! I had to go chase them down, ask them what I had done, and apologize. Then things were (usually) fine and hunky-dory again. But it would have saved so much time and emotional strain if people felt comfortable enough with me to confront me about whatever it was I did or was doing. Maybe I was just spoiled by growing up in an Italian family where communication is a priority, but this all seemed rather unreasonable and rather high-school-ish to me. I guess I've found a pet peeve: people who hold grudges and don't do anything to try to solve the issue.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable. If I do the wrong, maybe I should be the one to fix it. I probably should. It just gets tiring when one isn't used to it!

No comments: