08 January 2011

St. John's head

Out at HOJAM for dinner last night, we were discussing relics and the possession of them. Steve was explaining to Eric that they could not be bought, but rather an individual must petition Rome requesting a transfer of custodianship. Reasons must be given and after review, permission is either given or not. He jokingly added, "Maybe we should petition to get John Eudes' neck to go with his head," indicating an approximately head-sized, locked, black box on the bottom shelf of the bookcase in the corner. Incredulous, I exclaimed, "You have St. John's HEAD? In a BOX? On the floor??" Catching the glint in his eye, I realized my ridiculous gullibility. My brother wasn't so lucky. He thought they really had his head. Playing along with him, Steve very solemnly brought the box to the table and very slowly and even more solemnly opened it up. It was empty.

Despite my realization of the absurdity of the situation and the impossibility of them possessing the saint's head, let alone leaving it in a box on the bottom shelf of a corner bookcase, I was still relieved to see that it was empty.

No comments: