25 April 2013

Blog Your Heart | April

In an effort to make good on my "doing things without others' approval" resolution, I've decided to do one of these without any prompting from anyone else. Although I did steal the below graphic from Stephanie.
For newbies, here are the rules, as phrased by Steph:
1. blog whatever is authentic. whatever is truly on your mind and in your heart.
2. it can be serious, silly, short, long. note:no one said it has to be serious. but it should be authentic.
3. no judging allowed no snarky comments, no making fun, no passive agressive digs.if you are going to read the blogs linked below, don't be mean. nothing here is whining. it's me honestly sharing my feelings. if you feel that it's whining, then you don't have to read. :)


1. Boston and West
Last week was a week of heavy hearts and fervent prayers. Those prayers will continue for those who have a long road of healing ahead. Blessed are we to have a compassionate, merciful, and tender God who will stay with us through every step of every trial.

2. The Importance of Loving WILDLY
Last week was a week that forced self-reflection and a serious reevaluation of priorities. A week that inspired acts of kindness. After these tragedies, closely following on the tragedy in CT,  it struck me that we unite in the face of tragedy. Why not resolve to unite in kindness every day of the year? This image:


It's a sentiment that directly (and obviously) applies to military families, but why should it be limited to that? Why not live every day loving the people around us like they might be gone tomorrow? This is a life of uncertainties, but maybe those uncertainties can lead us to embrace joy.

I know, I know. People can be hard to love. But think on this: God loves us wildly, just as we are. He isn't waiting for us to become better people. He just loves us. Shouldn't we imitate Him in that? Love people here and now?

3. Wedding Photography
I am honored to be the photographer for a couple of dear, dear friends' wedding. At the same time, I'm nervous! It's such a big thing to have in my little hands! I'm busy thinking about shot lists, scheduling, how to lead without bossing, and how to capture every moment to the best of my ability.





4. The Havoc Boys Can Play on Girls' Hearts
Dave Barry observed something: "If the magazines in the supermarket checkout are any indication, women seem concerned with two things: why men are slobbish pigs, and how to attract men." Funny, isn't it? True? Seems like it. Men drive women crazy, but only because we so desperately want them to love us. Life seems like a balancing act of letting guys be guys, protecting our hearts, and being open to letting them love us. I suppose I can't definitively speak for men, but from my own personal experience and the experiences of some of my dearest girlfriends, it seems like men don't have any idea the power they have over women's hearts. As a Jane Austen character points out, "Women love longest when all hope is lost." I have some of the sweetest gentlemen for friends; nevertheless, I've watched them happily "move on," while the girl is still hurting. I wish I could change this. Or, at least, take away some of the pain of some of my girlfriends. 

5. My Confirmation Class
I am so proud of my kids. They're getting Confirmed tonight. I pray that God will bless them abundantly with the gifts of His Holy Spirit. I hope that I was able to be a witness of Christ's love to them. A witness that will stay with them through their lives. I hope they never stray from the straight and narrow. I hope they'll be happy and confident in their faith for the rest of their lives. 

6. How To Dodge a Slap 
Possibly unreasonable, but I'm a little worried that someone's mother is not going to be terribly happy to see me at graduation. I am seriously contemplating the best way to dodge a slap (verbal or otherwise). Don't they say that a mother's love for her son knows no bounds? Yikes.

No comments: