19 September 2013

Quotes Gone Wilde

"Yes, he's very, very good. Don't let those well meaning prudes tell you otherwise!"

Words from a young gentleman whose opinion I trust on just about everything.  The author in question? Oscar Wilde.

Since then, I have fallen in love with this author's writing. It isn't always obviously beautiful, but it's always thought-provoking, in a good way. To celebrate this new-found love, I thought I'd post a few of my favorite quotations from Mr. Wilde. Enjoy.

~How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being?~

~Women are made to be loved, not understood.~

~A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.~

~It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But... it is better to be good than to be ugly. ~

~Ordinary riches can be stolen; real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.

~If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.

~A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.

~Who, being loved, is poor?~

~When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers.~

~What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.~

~Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.~

~Women love us for our defects. If we have enough of them, they will forgive us everything, even our gigantic intellects.~ 

No comments: