11 October 2013

Too Long for a Status Update

Here are a couple of real-life conversations I've had recently. After each one, I thought to myself, "I'll share that with my friends! It's funny!" After logging onto various social networking sites, however, I was frustrated with the ratio of length-of-story to mode-of-communication. So they didn't get posted. Being the idiot that I am, it took me til this morning to realize that this was a good place to share them.

Real Life Conversation #1
Date: Sunday, October 6
Place: first Confirmation Class of the 2013-2014 school year
Setup: We were playing a "getting to know each other" game. It consisted of me asking random "yes or no" questions. If your answer was "yes," you stood on one side; if "no," you stood on the other side. It was a way to see what commonalities these kids had with each other and their catechists, helping to build trust, comfort, etc.

Q: Have you taken a foreign language for two or more years?

About 8 kids walked to the "yes" side.

Q: Do you know Latin?

Two kids stay, the rest join the others on the other side.

Q: Do you know how to ballroom dance?

One guy stays.

me, "REALLY? You know Latin and how to ballroom dance?"

him, "Yeah."

me, "Okay, before I get too excited, how do you feel about classical music?"

him, "I like it. I was at the symphony yesterday."

me, "You are now officially my favorite student."

Andrea, "She really doesn't have favorites, guys, don't worry."

me, "Oh, yeah. No favorites. But maybe we can be friends."

him, "That would be cool."

Q: Have you read Lord of the Rings?

Everyone is now on the other side of the room.

me, "Nobody???"

They all look at each other. One of them asks, "Does the Hobbit count?"

me, "Yes, that can count."

Three students walk over, including my favorite student/friend.

him, "I hated the Hobbit. I only read it because I had to for school. It was so boring."

me, horrified, "WHAT?????"

him, "It's true. Besides, the movies came out when I was 4."

me, "We cannot be friends anymore."

Real Life Conversation #2
Date: Friday, October 11
Place: work
Setup: me switching the inane pop station for a classical station in the absence of the bosses

Co-worker, L, "After hearing you talk about your school, I understand why you like classical music so much."

me, "Yep. It's brilliant."

L, "My son agrees with you. He came home from school one day, infatuated with Beethoven."

me, "That's awesome."

L, "I don't know anything about it myself, but there was some really obscure composed that he absolutely loves and cannot get enough of."

me, "Really? Do you know the name?"

L, "No. Just list some composers for me."

me, "Well, it probably wasn't Mozart..."

L, "That's it! Mozart! My son is a visionary. How many people love Mozart's music?"

me, "uhhhhhhh."

Happy Friday, y'all. I'm going to go clean my room, finish unpacking, and then pack... again. xo

No comments: