26 December 2008

Engaging the Brain

One of the nicest, but simultaneously worst, things about vacation is having nothing to do. At all. Nothing. It's nice for a couple of days, but then, in all honesty, it becomes quite boring. Your brain stops functioning and your body becomes a lethargic blob. Yes, you can clean the house for your mother, but that doesn't occupy the brain either. It's mellow work which serves well when you're brain dead from studying, but you can't consider it a mental work out in any way, shape, or form.

This morning, I turned on my brain for the first time since last Friday. And it felt wonderfully good. I spent four hours working out algebra problems which stretched my brain. Just as stretching a muscle which hasn't been stretched in months is painful, algebra smarts quite a bit when you haven't done it since 8th grade. It is a stretch that is mandatory for school, but also quite enjoyable once you get a bit loosened up. I'll be doing quite a bit more of it over the next two weeks, but that is something I'm looking forward to. Call me crazy, but I'm learning to love it. :)

No comments: