18 May 2011

Dress shopping

So I bit the bullet and went to David's Bridal yesterday to shop for my bridesmaid dress. I was armed with the list of dress options that the bride had sent and a firm resolve to be patient, firm, and dignified.

I walked into the dressing room with seven dresses, two of which were deemed "acceptable" by myself, my sister, and my mother. Three of the other dresses occasioned me to wonder what the fashion world was coming to on two levels: first, the lack of decency and second, the horrendous quality of the seamstressing. The zippers didn't work, some of the seams were crooked, etc. When you go shopping and you realize that you could do a better job yourself, it discourages you from buying the product, especially when it is priced outlandishly.

The two dresses that I ended up waffling between each had their own unique charms. The first was a boatneck in the front and a deep v down the back, but it didn't fit me right. It wasn't that it was too big or too small, it just didn't fit. I looked sorta like I was wearing a sack for potatoes. The second one covers a bit less of me, but it fit perfectly. I found a jacket (which I would have worn with either dress, at least for Mass) that made it quite presentable. It's a little lower than school dresscode would allow for, but still within my comfort zone. I went with the cute one that didn't cause me to resemble something found at a grocery store.

And I'm happy with it. Best part? It has POCKETS! What girl could be unhappy with a dress that has pockets?!

No comments: