20 May 2011

It's REALLY out there

Apparently...

there's ice cream...

named after...

(you're not going to believe this...)


Superman.

It was the source of slight contention early first semester. A few of us had gone out ice skating and decided an ice cream treat was in order. My best friend suggested this outlandish notion of superman ice cream.

"Superman ice cream?!" I repeated back to him, incredulous at the mere suggestion of such a nonsensical idea.

"Yeah... it's blue and red and yellow, all mixed together. It's good. It's... superman ice cream."

We looked for said ice cream, but to no avail. We settled on vanilla or some such prosaic flavor. I soon forgot about it... why would a girl with a dairy allergy remember such a silly trifle as an ice cream flavor? I completely forgot the occurrence. Put it out of my mind entirely.

Until today.

Apparently, it does exist.

really, truly, and emphatically.

Or, at least, to the extent that you can really, truly, and emphatically believe things to exist that you haven't actually seen with your own eyes, but have seen in pictures that were telecommunicated to you from Michigan.

I was sent a picture of a bucket of the stuff by that dear boy. He, apparently, hadn't forgotten my incredulity. I am still slightly incredulous. Not disbelieving about its existence, but why? Why does red, yellow, and blue ice cream exist?

So I did what any self-respecting member of my generation would do when faced with an unknown: I googled it.

APPARENTLY (I've been using this word very, very much in this post), it's a Michigan thing. It's an obsession, as it were. There's a blogger who's alias is "Superman Ice Cream." People have searched high and low for the concoction once they have moved away from Michigan, looking for the favored treat of their childhood summers. It can't be found... anywhere! Well, nearly anywhere. One can find it in about five locations outside of the hand state. Apart from that, it isn't to be found.

Michigan people... gotta love 'em :)

But superman ice cream?

really?


No comments: