28 February 2008

I Found Caesar Augustus's Baptismal Records!


Really! I did! Maybe not the Caesar Augustus that first comes to mind, but a little boy was baptized in my parish in the mid-90s and named Caesar Augustus. I kid you not.

You may be wondering (and justifiably so) how I came by such startling information. Yesterday, as it happened, held what could be called an "epoch in my life." Since last August, I have been volunteering in the parish office creating an index for all of the baptismal records in the parish. ALL of them. Dating back to 1976. I entered the last one yesterday, at 3:15 pm and, according to my estimation it was approximately the 7,000th name I had entered. Among those seven thousand were some shocking selections for names including John Wayne and Napoleon. My job, while not difficult, instilled me with a solid principle of NEVER giving my little girl the middle name "Marie." Not that I don't like the name, but approximately 75% of all girls baptized between 1976 and the present have the middle name Marie.

When I finally closed the book, I (very excited) approached the secretary to tell her I had finished. No word of congratulation escaped her lips, however. She merely told me that there was another set of books to be done and, without ceremony, went and got me a big, fat book containing all of the marriage records. Ah, well....

So I have given a few months of my life to a task that is seemingly endless. I am, as it would seem, volunteering my life away. But, as Fr. Mitch Pacwa says about money, "I mean, really, you can't even eat the stuff." :D

1 comment:

Therese said...

I congratulate you, BAGEL,m on the acomplishment of finishing 7,000 recors! Wow and Bravo!