25 February 2008

Your Ladyship?

Now that the necessary business-like, introductory post is out of the way, I can have some fun! (not that I don't enjoy doing business-like things....but moving on...)

I thought my first substantial post should be something that is important to me. Some theme that may be recurring. And the something that I managed to decide on is also something that seems always out of reach. The subject in question: being a true lady.

From a superficial standpoint, I am unarguably a lady. I 1)am a girl, 2)wear girlie clothes, 3)sing soprano, and 4)do not glorify in guns, guts, and gore. But on a deeper level, am I really a lady? At the moment, I'm afraid the honest answer would be a resounding, clanging, unadulterated "no." A lady should have proper poise; this is something I have struggled with, but apparently to no avail. A lady ought to know when to keep her mouth shut; I constantly have to repeat to myself, "engage brain before mouth." (usually repeated most excessively right after an extreme case of the opposite occurs) And, one of the most essential ingredients: know how to be a lady. I guess I've been a little girl for so long, I don't know how to be a lady. I'm loud (obnoxiously, more often than not), I giggle, I'm a spaaz (and I don't even know how to spell it), I'm disorganized, ...the list is seemingly endless. (note: if anyone is wondering why I didn't add "hyper" to the list, I thought it too obvious to make note of)

So what am I to do? The old "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." comes to mind. Along with, "Anything worth achieving isn't easily achieved." Unfortunately. So, as you see, this blog (more than anything) will be a chronicle of my journey toward "ladyhood." I hope that, one day, you may see me achieve it. At the moment, I have ironing to attend to...

No comments: