02 June 2014

Living with EDS - Swimsuit Edition

I've been living with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome since birth. As a child, I was considered to resemble Gumby a little too closely, but it wasn't cause for real concern. As I've gotten older, it's presented a more serious set of problems, including chronic joint pain, fragile skin, and an inhibited ability to develop scar tissue.

A new issue, which reared its ugly head just this summer, is a less serious, but incredibly frustrating fashion issue: halter tops cause my neck joints to slide forward and push against my windpipe. I'm not even sure your neck joints can dislocate, but mine certainly seem to do so. The pressure of the band across the back of my neck causes this rather painful occurrence. I don't like it much. 

So what? I can't wear halter tops. Big deal.

BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL!

There are already so many rules that I have to follow regarding swimsuits. I like to keep my tummy and my derriere covered. I like to keep the cleavage to a minimum. Basically, I like to wear a cute suit that doesn't resemble a bridal shower gift. Pardon me.

I found an adorable swimsuit that met all these requirements this year. I was super excited. It was pretty much perfect. No cleavage, not too much back, not too much leg, no tummy. I put it on and tied the knot behind my neck.

Then POP went said neck.

Ow. Sigh. Owwwwww.

I went perusing websites again, searching for an alternative that didn't cost a ton (since I'd already invested a considerable amount in the offending suit) and didn't push my comfy modesty envelope. Every freaking swimsuit that I found is a halter top. Occasionally, I came across a racer back suit, but then the front was so low that I don't think I'd ever be able to leave the house while wearing it.

Another rule, another guideline, another hurdle for my life. Living with EDS isn't easy. It even affects my swim season. The swimsuits are trying to kill me, too.

No comments: