24 November 2014

One More Week!

Yesterday, the Feast of Christ the King, was the last Sunday of the Catholic liturgical year.

Next Sunday marks the beginning of our new year. A new advent. A new coming. A new looking forward instead of trying to run back and away.

This is a gentle nudge and reminder that I'll be starting a new adventure here on the blog in December - the adventure in search of the Greatest Gift, the grace of the Incarnation. It's an adventure that gives you a unique certainty of your success. God wants to be sought and He wants to be found.

That deep and seemingly endless desire that you have for relationship? Yeah, that comes from the fact that you were made in the image of God. God, our King, come to us as infant, wants a relationship with you.   

You may very well ask... "why are you bringing this up over and over and over again?" Because it's important. Because you deserve it. Because Christmas can be great in such a big way... and it only costs a few dollars and some time and some love.

If it helps you to understand why I'm doing this, I'll tell you.

First, let me say that this is a huge departure for me in terms of how I think, learn, function, etc. I endeavor to be bit of an academic, especially when it comes to my faith. I utterly reject anything that I perceive to be spiritual fluff. Utter rejection sometimes takes the form of hurling books into the trash. I like my faith to fill me with a wonder in a very intellectual way. I like to read and study things that "blow my mind."

Ann Voskamp is not an academic. That said, her words aren't fluff. She is someone who manages to get into my heart - to understand my heart - with her words. Her words always dig deep into a very human part of me. I love St. Thomas. He inspires me to wonder and to always search for more wonder and more mystery. But Ann tells a very human story, a very vulnerable & personal story. It's the type of thing that I tend to easily dismiss... but she always pulls me back to God and His love.

I don't want to miss Heaven by a short eighteen inches... those eighteen inches that separate my head and my heart.

So let's go adventuring together... shall we?

(p.s. - while it's not the Greatest Gift, there are some wonderful little gifts for the mamas and babies in your life over in my Etsy shop, thebagelbox. Take a peek. Yes, a shameless plug.)

No comments: