29 December 2010

Awkward!

Dominic was sitting on my bed, hands on my waist, trying to pull me into his lap. I had my arms around Chris's neck, trying to avoid Dominic's lap.

How did I get here? Funny story, that...

I couldn't breathe. My back was a tangled mess, not allowing my lungs to expand properly. I was lightheaded, nauseaous, and kind of scared. To make matters worse, I wasn't in my dorm, but sitting outside the boys' dorm next-door.

Dominic and Chris insisted on helping me back to the dorm. I wasn't too resistant to that suggestion, aside from the fact that Chris had a concussion. The whole "blind leading the blind" did not sound incredibly appealing. But it was only a hundred feet. What could happen?

We got to the gate of the dorm without event. Given the strict no gender-mixing in the dorm, they tried to hand me off to a couple of girls. Then I passed out: a lack of oxygen does eventually get to you. I woke up, with a bruised tailbone, a horrendous pain in the middle of my back, and the wind knocked out of me. I sat, curled up on the ground, crying. The guys looked at each other and then back at me. "We'd better get a prefect."

Prefect permission having been granted, they heaved me back up and dragged me inside. Most guys on campus joke about getting into the girls' dorm, but I don't think many of them really want to. I can imagine it's rather awkward, especially at ten pm. They hollered, "man in the dorm" as they went through, me muttering directions between gasps for air. In the room, they realized that they shouldn't try to get me onto my bed, which is four feet off the ground. Instead, they decided to lower me onto my roommate's bed, which is situated on the floor.

Which brings us to the awkward place that I began. Dominic sat down on the bed, trying to lower me down. Even in my pain and disorientation, I distinctly did NOT want to sit in Dominic's lap. Chris was holding me up under the arms, slinging my arms around his neck, trying to ensure that I didn't collapse again. To avoid lap-sitting, I kept trying to scoot myself forward, which consequently squished me into Chris's stomach. He was alarmed by this, to say the least. "What ARE you doing??? SIT DOWN!"

Looking up at him and realizing there wasn't any way to explain or avoid it, I sat. In his lap. Oh, the awkwardness.

Dear, dear, sweet boys.

Walking out of the dorm, Chris walked past Nathan, who happens to be a prefect. Chris quickly explained that he had permission from a prefect to help someone to their room. Nathan assured him that he had been curious, but not terribly worried. He inquired which person it was who required the assistance. His response after hearing Chris's reply:

"I figured."

I'm beginning to be predictable. Oh my...

No comments: