28 December 2010

Grandma

I was sitting on the sofa in the front room, playing with my six year old cousin. My grandmother walked in and sat down on the rocking chair next to me. We had only just arrived a few hours earlier, so I expected her to start up the usual "catch-up" small talk. What really happened was entirely unexpected.

Grandma: "What is morse code?"

me, after a puzzled pause: "A series of dots and dashes." (cue my sister making beeping noises)

Grandma: "Oh. What is a code?"

me, suppressing a giggle: "A series of signs, established by convention, which signify something to the intellect."

Grandma: "Really? Is that all?"

She sounded disappointed. After about thirty seconds of thoughtfully clicking her tongue, she got up and went back to her crossword.

I love my family. :)

No comments: