26 February 2013

The Rest of the Trip

Saturday wasn't terribly eventful. Mum and I watched the baby, who is cuter than words. Absolutely ADORABLE.  We walked around downtown Long Beach, making our way to the Pike, which felt almost like Sea World or Disneyland. There were all of these cute store fronts in fabulous colors, lots of little families walking around, random jazz music playing (that was the part that felt like Sea World). We just hung out with the baby, went to dinner, and watched the stupidest movie I have ever seen... but Mum and I laughed. And laughed and laughed and laughed.


On Sunday, we adventured up to Santa Monica for Mass. St. Monica's Catholic Church is situated right outside of downtown, about three blocks from the ocean. It's a remarkably beautiful church for California. I had my doubts going in, but it was a very beautiful Mass. The homily that the priest gave was actually one of the best I have ever heard. Since we were in Santa Monica on Oscar Sunday, he did mention some of the best picture nominees and how they too were able to deliver a message that was in line with the gospels. It sounds tacky and bad the way I'm explaining it here, but trust me, it was good.

There were two other things that reminded me that we were in star-and-starlette land:  

1) Everyone dressed impeccably and were above average in the beauty department. I have never seen so many (externally) beautiful people at Mass before. (The "external" qualifier is because the important beauty is in the soul, which I can't actually see. But on the outside, they were all stunning.)

 2) They asked for "actors and actor wanna-be's" for the live Stations of the Cross that they were holding. Only in LA. Haha!

After Mass, Mum and I went in search of food. I was wearing heels, but the sidewalks were so clean that I was tempted to go barefoot. The only reason I didn't was that I was too lazy to do so. (Hehe. I'm kinda weird). We ended up walking down the main strip of downtown, which is filled with shops, restaurants, and performers hoping to get discovered. Outside of the restaurant where we were eating was a group of three siblings who were dancing and singing. They were pretty talented. Not an act I would ever hire to entertain (because at what event do you need three children singing Katy Perry??), but I was impressed with their gumption. I'm a ham, but I don't think there is any way you could get me to sing and dance in the middle of a crowded street.

I wanted to stay there, but I had to be back to teach high school juniors about vocational discernment. LA fascinates me during the day... but mostly scares me at night. :)



No comments: