03 August 2008

#5

I was walking into the kitchen from the dining room, carrying a big bucket of water. My side job was to clean up the wine area. Since the wines are stored in sinks of ice, the melted ice runs down the pipe into the waiting bucket. So, since it was the end of the night, I was emptying the buckets. And this bucket was not light. I was going as fast as I could to prevent my shoulders from protesting too much. I walk in the door and I see someone's back in front of me. Recognizing the individual, I asked him to please move for me. And, because he is himself, he stood there, hands on hips, with his back to me. And didn't budge. I adjusted my grip on the bucket and waited. Eventually, I knew, he would get tired of his little game and move on. But it didn't get to that point. All of the sudden, I see an arm on either side of my head. Another one of my coworkers, seeing my plight, reached around my head and shoved the living obstacle out of my way. Thankful and relieved, I continued on my way (after thanking my rescuer) towards the sink. Then the funny thing happened. While my removed obstacle was swearing at my assistant, he started walking forward, but continued looking over his shoulder. Then he smacked into me. Really hard. Stomped on my toes and rammed into my shoulder. I yelled pretty loud (it hurt!) and he clapped his hand over his mouth. I could tell he felt bad, despite the fact that he was blaming this on me. He wasn't apologizing... I don't know if he's capable of stooping that low... but it was written all over his face.

Only 9 more shifts...

No comments: