12 June 2009

The Saga of the Shoes

Shoes have always been something which have caused me trouble. My sister, being the easy, amiable, and simply person that she is, was always able to be fitted out with shoe from Payless. Thus, when I became old enough to need shoes, my mother assumed that the bargain-priced shoes would be sufficient for me as well. Alas, much to her discomfiture, those shoes would not do. In fact, they literally dissolved from around my little girl feet. My feet followed the rest of me, true to form: hard to satisfy and the bargain deal never works out.

Well, years later, my physical therapists have urged me to get good shoes. My first really good pair of running shoes was bought five years ago. We went to the shoe store which specializes in finding the perfectly-fitting shoe. The prices run a little high, but it's worth it for the amazing service. But again, I needed new shoes. My new PT took one look at my shoes and declared that I need new ones. So, Mum and I went on Tuesday to the sports store. Unfortunately, one hour and twenty pairs of shoes later, we had not found anything that fit me. I have what I call duck feet - very narrow heels and absurdly wide toes. Shoes are not generally made in this triangular shape. It was a frustrating and fruitless effort.

This afternoon, though, the saga came to an end. Dad and I drove 45 minutes to the good shoe store. The close branch, which we had made the previous purchase from, had since closed. But in retrospect, the drive was worth it. I walked in the door, showed the nice salesman (and no, that is not a contradiction of terms) my perfect, but old, shoes, told him about my feet, told him my size. He walked into the back, pulled out a pair of shoes, I tried them on and TA DA! another pair of perfect shoes! It was as easy as pie... maybe easier!

1 comment:

Andi said...

That is not true. Shoes have never fit me very well either and mom hated taking me shoe shopping. Ask her.