14 June 2010

A Slice of Humble Pie

Very frequently, humility comes from outside circumstances. A verbal slap to the face, an embarrassing situation, or drawing a complete blank on a test are all ways in which we are reminded of our human condition and its limitations. The way that humble pie was most recently served to me, however, was a bit different. It is in some ways more difficult to swallow when the situation is self-inflicted. At the moment, it's my right lower leg and foot.

You may laugh at such a silly thing, but it's really very revolting to me. Since getting Max, I have had the chance to examine my calf muscle. It's pretty much completely gone. When I say it's the size of my forearm, I am exaggerating, but not by much. Then there is the reality of the layers of skin that are peeling off. I have incisions and bruises all around my ankle and foot. It's absolutely disgusting to look at and to admit that that ugly thing is me.

2 comments:

Therese said...

Aww, Bridget! But don't be too depressed. It good to get that way sometimes, then you know how much better it feels to feel good, when you are feeling good.

Hey, you changed your blog, too! It looks Awesome!

bridget said...

True, very true. :) and thanks!