11 June 2010

Sports

Due to an incredible lack of anything to do, I have become a sports fanatic. Obviously not to play, but to watch on television. I haven't watched many sports in the past because I generally have something more productive to do. I could never reconcile myself to sitting in front of a television screen for that long. Now that all I ever do is sit (in the room with the television, no less), I no longer need to justify it to myself.

It started with baseball. I think I was attracted to the sport because 1) there are lots of games on and 2) it's very mathematical. Baseball is all about statistics. There are numbers for every player: batting averages, hits, runs, runs batted in, etc. And I love math. The commentators didn't just talk about stellar performances, but they could quantify those performances. That aspect appeals to me greatly.


On top of this, the World Cup starts today. I missed the first game (since it was on at seven this morning), which was between Mexico and South Africa. It was a tie game. I watched the World Cup last time with quite a bit of interest, and I've always enjoyed watching and playing soccer. Baseball appeals first to my intellect and second to my emotions. Soccer is just the reverse.

No comments: