20 June 2010

Today

Today, Sunday the 20th of June, has been interesting. Life is sometimes called a roller coaster, but today could be qualified as one all by itself. :)

At 12:05 am, I was lying awake. Wanda the dog was curled up in the middle of my bed, on top of the covers. This left me on top of the covers as well, and curled around her in an odd fashion so that I might make use of the available bed space. I don't usually let the dog sleep on my bed. Usually she's gated off in a separate part of the house. Last night, however, the neighbors were playing a loud game of soccer in the street which drove our hyper-sensitive dog crazy. At 10:30 she had climbed onto the bed, shaking. I just couldn't say "no." The game ended at 11, which allowed her to calm down. But then she fell asleep. And when Wanda falls asleep for the night, it takes serious man-power to get her to move. Unfortunately for me, the only people with such man-power had gone to bed. This is what brought me to five minutes past midnight. I hear creaking down the steps and realize Dad has come down for a snack. "Daddy?" No answer. "Dad, help." That got his attention. He dragged the dog off of the bed, but then she wouldn't move. She just crouched there, resisting the collar-pulling. So Dad had to pick up that 60 pounds of golden retriever and put her where she was supposed to be. Kind of fitting that Dad had to rescue his daughter only five minutes into Fathers' Day.
When I woke up later, I wished Mum and Dad a happy wedding anniversary and proceeded to get ready for Mass. When we got home from Mass, I was feeling very blue. Like the type of blueness that needs a banana, chocolate, and a hug. I was tired of just sitting down all day, reading, watching movies, and wasting my life on facebook. I had a little (very, very little) cry under the pillow. Then Scott decided to try to cheer me up.

He fetched his sword, which is a replica of Aragorn's in LOTR. He then proceeded to slash up my mostly deflated "happy birthday" balloon. I was quite fascinated by this. We were then struck with the idea that we could extend this fun by blowing up some of the balloons that we keep in a drawer in the kitchen and pop them. Scott did the first one, and then let me do the rest. I picked up the sword (oomph!) and he gently tossed the balloons at me. I experienced epic failures on my first couple of attempts, but I eventually got the hang of it. I just poked 'em gently and *POP* they went. Of course, I squealed in shock every time; it would have been uncharacteristic of me not to. We then had a little photoshoot with the weapons. I got the sword and Scott pulled out his bow and an arrow. 'Twas fun, as you can see.




After going out to the grocery store with Mum (going to the store is better than staying at home), I was settling back down on the bed and the phone rang. It was handed to me and the voice on the other end caused a grin to erupt all over my face. (sounds kind of violent, doesn't it?) Shelle put the phone on speaker and Chris starts the conversation with, "So, your mom says you're being cranky today." uhhhh. I qualifyed the sentiment as more of a stir-crazy, frustrated, blahhhh kind of day. "Denial" was their response to this. I couldn't help but laugh at the two of them. Those two absolutely, hands down, made my day. I haven't really stopped smiling. Apparently, Mum had sent a note to Chris earlier in the day, telling him that I required cheering up. As always, he and Shelle stepped up to the plate. :) I love them!!! (but not in a creepy way)
I am now back on the bed, after having eaten a tasty spaghetti dinner. The rest of the family is out walking the dog, and when the get back we're gonna eat angel food cake made by my sister, topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. yummm. I'm enjoying chewing while I can: tomorrow morning I get my wisdom teeth removed. hmmmm.

No comments: