11 August 2010

The Curse of the Females

As a member of the more needy half of humanity, I find myself in "need" of many things before the start of the school year. Last summer I stocked up on new cute shoes. My old ones had been literally worn thin and with a dress-code that requires dress shoes the majority of the day, I found my wardrobe lacking. Shiny department store bags in hand, I left the store very conscious of the nearly empty wallet. I easily justified it by the fact that I had not purchased new dress shoes in more than five years and hopefully would be able to go the same length of time before the same splurge was made.

Fast forward twelve months. I'm standing in the store with a shoe salesman, wearing the cutest, most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. Five minutes later, I have purchased them and am headed out the door. What happened to the five years between shopping trips? Ankle surgery happened. My incredibly cute shoes from last summer are slightly impractical. One pair has heels. The second pair has an ankle strap that cuts across both incisions. The third pair was worn so often that I killed the poor shoes in the course of the nine month school year. The pair that I have been wearing during this later part of the summer are ten dollar ballet flats from Target. While sufficient for two hour jaunts out of the house for Mass, these are quite inadequate for long days of walking around my beautiful, anything but flat campus. Now I'm quite ready to take on the world. I kid you not, these shoes are fantastic.

The other purchase was a bit of an impulse by. I have always loved Anne Taylor clothes. Comfortable, classy, and durable, they are delightful additions for any wardrobe. Such features do not come without a price, however. I could not help but pop into the store, just to peruse. But then, lo and behold, I saw it. It was pink. And on the sale rack. The $100 dress had been reduced to a mere $30. What girl in her right mind can turn that down?

So I am now in possession of a few less greenbacks, but got a good return on them. This girl is not above admitting that a new dress and new shoes put a smile on her face.

No comments: