14 July 2008

#2

These stories don't have anything to do with the residents whom I serve, but rather with the coworkers whom I tolerate. (Note: I am NEVER going to complain about someone not being a gentleman just because they don't hold the door for me. . . if they don't swear at me or hassle me, I'll love them.)

Saturday: I was walking towards a door, my hands full of glasses, when the door was kicked open by someone on the other side. The door smacked into me pretty hard and I got shoved back into the wall behind me. But, rather than apologizing and moving on, the young man started using an inordinate number of expletives to express his feelings. Then, after about thirty seconds, he recollected himself, apologized, and practically ran away. I don't think I said anything besides, "it's alright" and "don't worry about it," but that didn't stop him from rambling on. Ever since, he has been meticulously avoiding me. (Note: just in case you're wondering, there is a window in the door to prevent that from happening. Unfortunately, the top of my head comes up just below the window :D)

Sunday: We all had to vacuum before we left. So, as I was waiting for my turn with it, I was amused by watching another young man entertain himself with the lighter he always keeps in his pocket. Then, all of the sudden, the entire lighter caught on fire. I don't know how it happened, but a ball of fire suddenly appeared in his hand. He dropped it onto the carpet and started trying to stamp it out. All he succeeded in doing, however, was to send if flying across the room to scorch another part of the carpet. Someone else managed to stamp it out, but not before it had left a pretty good mark on the carpet.

Incorrigible teenagers....

No comments: