21 July 2008

#4

It was Saturday night and I was rather flustered. It was 7:30 and I still had four tables to reset before 7:45. We can stay later if necessary, but we tend to get in trouble if we do it too often. So I was a bit wound-up, trying to get it all done. Then I did something which seemed brilliant at the time, but ended up being very stupid of me. Instead of making 10 trips back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room with the necessary silverware, plates, and glasses, I thought that I would try putting it all on a tray and carrying it out together. I had seen someone else do it (the fact that he is a very buff guy and I'm a very not strong girl didn't register at the time) and it seemed like a good idea. So, I did it. Everything went fine until I went to put the tray down. My shoulder couldn't support a controlled movement with that much weight on it and the tray slipped out of my hands and half of the contents fell onto the floor. And a good portion of that smashed. With an extremely red face I started to pick up the broken pieces. With my bare hands. Smart move, right? Y'know, I've discovered that thinking is a very useful thing to do at times like this, but I never seem to think even of that fact. Someone brought me a broom, but by that time, my hands had multiple cuts that were all bleeding. The next step of resetting (after I cleaned up my mess) was changing the white tablecloths. With bloody hands. The rest of the resetting went well, but I wasn't done until five minutes before eight. Thankfully, someone had already done my side-job for me so I could just leave.

But not everything went badly on Saturday. I had one table that was particularly friendly and particularly interested in my name. They couldn't help but notice (can anyone, really?) that it's a very Irish combination. They actually engaged me in conversation for a couple of minutes, which is very unusual, and were extremely obliging and patient and kind. And now they remember me. One gentleman in particular calls me his "little bit of Ireland" every time he sees me. :-)

No comments: