12 July 2008

M&M

Today, at eleven o'clock CST, M&M became one! I can't believe they're married! And, since I'm in a sentimental mood, I'm going to tell you a little bit about my history with these two.

Mr. M is a long time family friend. Looooongggg time family friend. Our fathers went to college together and worked together. They've remained close ever since, thus the children of both are as well. It has been at least 25 years... I'm not exactly positive on the number, but at least that long. Mr. M is the oldest of the eight children and, for a very long time, wanted to become a priest. In fact, when his mother told me he was courting the then Miss M, I didn't believe her. When you meet him now, he comes across as a nice, mature, respectful, and altogether good guy. But when he was three years old... well, let's just say he wasn't quite the model of decorum that he is now.

My mother was at the grocery store with his mother. My mother was pushing the cart with Mr M in it, while his mother put stuff into it. He, being at that very mischievous age of three, was reaching for all sorts of things that he shouldn't have. When my mother told him not to do that, he grinned at her, leaned over, and spit on her shoes.

But I also have memories of him being very helpful and kind. One in particular was when I was about ten and he was 15. I was riding my bike around a dirt path, hit a bump and fell head over heels down a hill. I was quite traumatized and crying. Mr M picked me up, carried me to his aunt and uncle's house (where they were visiting) and deposited me at the door were my mother was. He was very nice about it, and checked up on me a few minutes later - just to make sure I was ok.

Mrs. M I met just a couple of years ago, at a Father-Daughter dance Mr. M's family was hosting. The two of them were not courting at the time, but Mrs. M was another close friend's roommate at TAC, thus she had become a part of the local family already. She taught us all the basics of swing dancing, waltzing, and polkaing...all with an English accent. :) I saw her again not much later, up at TAC, where I met her sister who is going to be in my class at college. Mrs. M is such a wonderful person...I remember telling her sister after M&M started courting, that if I was going to pick any girl for Mr. M, Miss M would have to be her. Her sister replied that if she had had to pick a guy for her sister, Mr. M would have been him. We smiled at each other, and then watched M&M waltz around the room at the dance. It was clear to almost everyone that the two of them were perfect for each other.

And now they aren't two people anymore. Mr. and Mrs. M are one... married until death do them part. And I am so incredibly happy for them. I wish I was there, but as I am not, I shall spend my day praying for them with all my might and main.

No comments: