23 June 2011

Remedial Elementary School

I've come to discover that I need to go to elementary school again. I can do advanced calc, physics, philosophy, theology, biology, chem, etc. For some reason, however, I can't do basic mathematics. Like addition. I had to sit and think about 5 + 2 = ? I knew it was 7, but for some reason I second guessed myself for a long time. Oh, and then yesterday, at 5:53 pm, I could not, for the life of me, figure out how many minutes there were until 6 pm. 6? 7? 8? gak!

Oh, and I finally figured out why I'm "dyslexic." I'm not really dyslexic, but I have this tendency to get the order of the letters in words backwards. I don't read words from beginning to end, but I look at the whole thing, get the general size, shape, and a few of the letters, and make a guess. Of course this is completely subconscious (and contributes to the obscene speeds at which I can read), but it wreaks havoc on my spelling. I know approximately what letters belong in a word, but the order is rather... uh... hazy.

An example of this occurred yesterday when I was reading aloud to the kids. I read the word "honary" and automatically supplemented the extra "or." I didn't notice that the word was, in fact, misspelled until another character in the story corrected it. Oops.

No comments: