01 May 2008

Beyond Adjectives

I can't even think where to begin in describing this book to you. "1001 Ways to be Romantic" is a book that surpasses everything cheesy and over-the-top. So I thought it would be fun to share some excerpts with you :)

On wedding gifts: Plan ahead -- way ahead! Get a friend to buy fifty of the top magazines and newspapers that are on the newsstand on your wedding day. Pack them safely away and present them to your partner -- on your twenty-fifth wedding anniversary!

My comment: cool idea, but 50? A little excessive in my opinion. Maybe one or two...

With Hershey's Kisses: Remove all the little paper strips (that say "Kisses" on them) from a couple hundred Hershey's Kisses. Fill a little jewelry box with them. Wrap 'em up and present them to her.

My comment: WASTE OF TIME. Guys, don't bother.

Then a whole section entitled "A Month of Romance" with an idea for ever day. Excerpts: After you say goodbye, turn back one more time and blow her a kiss. Send loving thought to your lover via mental telepathy. But a lottery ticket; give it to her with a little note attached, "I hit the jackpot when I married you!"

My comment: I, personally, would just laugh at the guy who did the first on. Mental telepathy? why not call or email? and on the last one, it's just cheesy.

And then a subject which one is allowed a little creativity, but some of these are slightly excessive.
Engagement ideas: Sky banner proposals, custom jigsaw proposals, video taped proposals (the point???), Telegrammed proposals, using lit candles to spell out "will you marry me?", painting the proposal on the roof and then taking her flying (!!!). The winner for the most quirky: giftwrapping a stack of twelve bridal magazines and say, "You're going to need these!"
Some cool ones, though: hiding the ring in an unblossomed rose. When it blooms, there's a lovely surprise inside! or, for the business student type, apply for the job of "husband". In other words, write a resume outlining your goals, your desirable qualities, your qualifications, and your relevant experience

I thought these were fun! Any ideas or stranger things you've heard of? Romance is a strange world to navigate...but I don't know if these books actually help. This particular one is going to be relegated to the recycling bin shortly.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I personally think the first two are ridiculous, but after that I wholly approve. :)