06 May 2008

Tuesday...

It isn't quite raining. The ground has been wet all day...it isn't getting more wet or less wet, at least from my viewpoint. I suppose from the ground's point of view it is getting more wet. It is just getting wet at such a slow speed that it isn't accumulating into puddles before it evaporates again.

These days a perfect for thinking. The sunny outdoors aren't present and therefore not tempting me to "frolic." Not that I don't enjoy this weather...but it is especially nice when you can observe it from under a blanket on the couch.

It is also the perfect type of day for cleaning. One cannot procrastinate indefinitely. So we cleaned some of the house. I personally scrubbed two of the bathrooms into a state of shininess, vacuumed out the book baskets, and sterilized the kitchen. Mom did lots of dusting and laundry. We have been at it for hours, and we get to do more tomorrow. But since the forecast is predicting similar weather for the rest of the week, I'm sure I'll get it done. And enjoy it to. Because I have enjoyed today's cleaning spurt.

There is something satisfactory about making something that was dirty all clean and new again. I have been told that that feeling is an indicator of OCD, but I don't think so. Nor do I think that I should be put in a museum, as on of L.M. Montgomery's characters once stated. I think there is something that appeals to us in the fact that something can be "resurrected" as it were. Some inanimate object, through the effort of either other inanimate objects (such as a dishwasher) or animate ones (such as this lowly bagel) becomes new. A new start, almost. A mini spring time. How much more can we be made squeaky clean? We, in our fallen state, get "dirty", some more often than others and to varying degrees. But we have Someone more powerful than even the most potent cleaning agent available in the market to give us a new start. And He wants to give the new start to us. And many want that new start.

Maybe I'm being way too philosophical about scrubbing burnt food off of stoves. But maybe not. After all, we are made in the image and likeness of our Creator, are we not? Since we take satisfaction in making our own material things clean and marvelous again, could we not assume that He takes pleasure in making His possessions clean too?

No comments: