14 May 2008

The Problem with Education

A recent conundrum got me thinking. A 16 year old gentleman that I know was assigned a history project. According to the directions, it was due by this coming up Friday. But the facilitator at his charter school isn't coming to pick up samples and things until June. He also hasn't gotten an answer as to whether this project counts for his grade. So he doesn't think he'll do it, since no one is giving him a straight answer. To put this situation in perspective, the project has to be one of three things: write a ten page paper, video yourself giving a 15 minute presentation, or do a canvas painting that incorporates elements of a certain historical event. So, clearly, this is no minor amount to do. If it doesn't need to be done, 99% of people wouldn't do it. Unless he gets instructions otherwise, he isn't going to do it. And it most certainly won't be done by Friday.

But I am one of those people who would do it. Why? Because I find satisfaction in learning things. I truly enjoy learning. In my opinion, this is due to the way I got my education. In the modern public school system, they manage to take every particle of enjoyment out of school. They make it about making the teacher happy. Or the school's ranking. Anything and everything except what it should be about. The student and the expansion of their mind should be the priority. And I believe that in many cases it is. But the teachers have never learned how to communicate that. If the aforesaid young man were to do the project, I am sure he would gain something from it. Something that he will have to get some other time, some other way -- or maybe not at all. You loose a lot of the value when the student doesn't appreciate the benefit he receives. I, thanks to my wonderful teacher (:D), haven't lost that appreciation. I recognize the good that comes out of doing the harder work, of going the extra mile. I could've scraped through school the easy way. I could have done basic coursework. But then I wouldn't have learned the wonders of physics or the charms of calculus.

This, I believe, is one of the most major problems facing the educational system. People don't do things to better themselves. They haven't been taught the effectiveness of self-motivation. I truly love learning. This particular gentleman doesn't seem to.

No comments: