29 May 2008

Birthday fun!

Yesterday was my birthday! I definitely don't feel my age. I always thought people who had lived this long would have acquired some great wisdom or knowledge. Maybe they do and I'm just exceptionally immature.

The day started out in the best way possible - Mass! We were going to leave right after and chill at home, but Deacon Bob had other plans. My brother, who is one of the senior altar servers at our parish, needed to be trained alongside the other senior altar server in how to use the incense. So, I had an "accidental" Holy Hour. But it was really, really nice. I mean, it is only fitting that I spend an hour with the person who caused and is causing me to be in existence. :)

At 11:30 we got home. Mom insisted that I open my presents. The one from my parents was awesome - "The Sound of Music" on dvd. You may find it funny that someone my age would get that movie for her birthday, but it is seriously one of my favorite movies of all time. It might even be my favorite movie of all time.

Mum took me out to lunch with my little brother. The place where we ate has awesome food, but what we did after was even better. Right next door to the restaurant is a grocery store that has intensely good frozen desserts. You just stick 'em out on the counter for a couple of hours to defrost and you have a masterpiece to eat. So we got one. Along with a week's worth of groceries.

The afternoon was filled with watching "The Sound of Music." Like I said before, I love that movie! At about five o'clock I started warming up for my voice lesson. I usually don't warm up for that long, but I had not had a lesson in such a long time, that I needed to get myself back in gear. My lesson went from six to almost seven (we ran quite a bit longer than normal) and from seven to eight-thirty we had choir practice. Now, some people think I'm insane to go to choir on my birthday, but I love all the people and I love to sing. The combination of the two made it the perfect way to spend the evening.

At about nine pm we did cake and ice cream. After that, most of the house went to bed. I normally go to sleep fairly early, but I figured that you only have one eighteenth birthday, so I was going to enjoy every minute of it. My brother volunteered to stay up with me until eleven - after that we had strict parental orders to go straight to bed.

It as a fantabulous day, and I had a blast. Oh, and I got flowers for the first time ever. Dad got me a dozen yellow roses! They're so pretty and sunshiny . . . if the day was a package, the flowers were the neat bow that tied it all up. :D

2 comments:

Carol said...

Happy belated birthday, Bagel!! What a cool way to spend your day.

I remember when we met in 1996 and you were such a cute, little pipsqeak in pigtails. Now you're a mature (albeit still cute) adult contemplating which candidate to vote for in the elections.

God Bless!

bridget said...

Thank you, Carol! BTW, I don't think I've ever called you "Carol." Seems disrespectful somehow :)

And, do I really have a choice as to which candidate to vote for? ;-)