03 March 2008

Stereotypical Stereotypes

The plot: a man and woman discussing cars, presumably to buy one.

W: Ti piace questa macchina? (shows car from the '50s)
M: No, e troppo vecchia.
(do you like this machine? No, it's too old)

M: Ti piace questa macchina? (limousine)
W: Veramente no. E troppo grande.
(do you like this machine? Definately not. It's too big)

W: Ti piace questa macchina? (little put-put car with clown in it)
M: Veramente no. E troppo piccola.
(do you like this machine? Definately not. It's too small)

M: Ti piace questa maccina? (completely twisted and mangled wreck)
Beh, mi sarebbe piacuta prima dell'incidente.
(do you like this machine? so, I might have liked it before the accident)

But for the real stereotypical behavior:
W: Guarda quella piccola macchina gialla. E graziosa. Mi piace.
M: A me non piace. Penso che sia brutta.
W: Beh, io penso che sia graziosa.

W:There's that little yellow machine. It's gracious (I think cute is a better translation under the circumstances). I like it.
M:I don't like it. I think it is ugly
W: so, I think it's cute


And the other way:
W: Ti piace questa macchina?
M: Si, mi piacciono le macchine sportive rosse. Mi piace guidare velocemente.
W: Beh, le macchine sportive di qualsiasi colore sono veloci!

W: Do you like this machine?
M: Yes, I like red sports cars. I like driving fast cars.
W: So, the sports car of whichever color that is fast!

Summary: Girl likes cute car. Guy likes fast car. Sooooooo true!

1 comment:

Peter M. said...

That's a sweet Ferrari!!! I love it! :)