09 March 2008

Flubs

Some recent slip-ups of the English language as displayed by people around me in the past couple of days.

"I, shamefully enough, took advantage of that atmosphere of animosity." He meant anonymity. And HE was a literature major.

"He wants to change the world and be the kind of person who people will listen to." My beloved sis was talking of someone who I always thought of as very down to earth and humble. Apparently she meant "will talk to." Otherwise the poor guy will become a dictator of a severe magnitude.

"I'm her sister." Spoken by my brother. Poor guy.

"It would seem necessary for the evolution of the human species." I MEANT propagation.

"For all you sopranos who don't have the music, I'm going to challenge you not to look at it." Another bit of proof that our choir director is really intelligent.

Ah, life. Mr. Bennet summarized it marvelously, I believe: "For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors and laugh at them in our turn."

2 comments:

Steve said...

Why, Bridget, is this the start of a quote book?

bridget said...

haha, it wasn't going to be, but that's an excellent idea!