22 April 2008

Commander and Commanded

I'm not exactly sure how to do this...or how it's going to turn out...or what exactly it's going to be about in the end...but I'll do it anyway.

"I obey all lawful and reasonable commands...even when they come from you."

That's what I told him. He told me to stop thinking about my conundrum. So I did. But does the above statement convey a compliment, an insult, or is it just a passive thing?

Let's take a look at each one:

Compliment: The only way this could be construed as a compliment would be to follow a line of logic that goes something like this. The ability to give lawful and reasonable commands is a talent which must be either inborn or acquired. It is something that is difficult to do well and consistently. If the above statement is true, then yes, it is a compliment. The statement implies that he is one of the individuals who possess that happy talent.

Insult: This is probably most obviously insulting in nature. The fact that I bothered to tack on that last part implies that there are lawful and reasonable things that I wouldn't do for him. But that I would do for others. For instance, being nice.

Passive: It is always nice to interpret things in a passive manner. My statement could be viewed as quite innocuous and harmless. I was just saying something to say something. It is neither good nor bad. I obeyed his command. And that, as they say, is that.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

No comments: