07 April 2008

Is It True?

"Two heads are better than one, not because either is infallible, but because it is unlikely that both heads will go wrong in the same direction." C.S. Lewis

The above is one of my favorite quotes from Lewis. And now I am going to take the terrible liberty of misapplying it. I took two quizzes. Both claimed that they would tell me which Jane Austen character I most resemble. I took both, and the results came out astonishingly similar. Take a look:

Quiz #1

You're Emma Woodhouse of Emma.You're intelligent and manipulative, and tend to form strong opinions of people. You are also very popular, and like to help others.

Emma Woodhouse: 85%
Catherine Morland: 65%
Elizabeth Bennet: 65%
Marianne Dashwood: 55%
Elinor Dashwood: 55%
Anne Elliot: 25%
Fanny Price: 20%

(by the way, I have no idea what those percentages mean. They don't add up to one hundred...I am really quite at a loss. If anyone cares to enlighten me, I'd be more than happy to hear their opinion on it.)

Quiz #2

You scored as a Emma Woodhouse. Emma is possibly one of the most loyal characters of Austen, always wanting better for those around her and doing all she possibly can to make it happen. Her motives sometimes get in the way of her good intentions and her own opinions can end up ruling her actions, but she has a good heart. She loves to be social and is welcoming to most, unless they are too silly to tolerate. While she sometimes changes her behavior to make others feel comfortable, she knows who she is and is always bettering herself.

Emma Woodhouse: 88%
Jane Bennet: 63%
Marianne Dashwood: 63%
Elizabeth Bennet: 53%
Lady Catherine: 31%
Elinor Dashwood: 28%
Charlotte Lucas: 28%

So, stretching Lewis's claim to an unpardonable degree, I must really be a good deal like Miss Woodhouse. Almost exactly the same result came from two completely different sources.


And, I did a little wacky math to see if I could make some sense out of the percentage deals. This is what I came up with:

In quiz #1, I am approximately 23% Emma, 18% Catherine and Lizzie, 15% like both of the Dashwood sisters, 7% Anne, and 5% Fanny. (It adds up to 101, but that's better than 370)

In quiz #2, I am approximately 25% Emma, 18% Jane and Marianne, 15% Lizzie, 9% Lady Catherine (!!!), and 8% Elinor and Charlotte. (again it equals 101, but again that's better than 354)

No comments: