02 April 2008

The Joys of the first of April

I generally ignore the existence of April Fool's Day. Alright, I'll be honest -- I tend to forget the significance of April 1st until it is April 2nd. But not this year. This year I got my brother good.

The idea was originally Mom's. She was going to tell Scott that CAP's National Commander was coming to the meeting (which was last night) to inspect everyone's PT exercises. She was then going to ask him to come upstairs and look on the computer at some CAP provided video on the subject. When he looked at the computer, there was going to be a word processor up, bearing the legend "April Fool's!" Good idea. But she forgot to do it.

So, after we dropped Scott off at the meeting, Mum and I went out to dinner. We do this about once a month. We get some girl bonding time and go see what the newest ridiculous fashions at the local stores are. Over dinner, we perfected our plan.

About half-way home, I launched our scheme. I told Scott that the Wing Commander (I decided that was more believable than National) was going to come some time during the next month and all of the cadets of the squadron were going to have to redo their latest review board. He was going to be doing this all over the state during the course of the year. But he wasn't allowed to tell. I had only gotten this information through our sister who had been told by one of her roommates (who is very involved in CAP). Scott's reaction was priceless. He bought it, hook, line, and sinker. "Oh, no!" said Scott. "Why?" I replied that it was to ensure that all of the cadets were up to par. He groaned and got all worked up. It was fantastic.

But it is a very good thing that it was almost 9:30 at night and very dark. Otherwise my face would have betrayed me. I managed to keep my voice steady, but I couldn't keep my face from stretching into an enormous smile. We didn't leave him in suspense long, however. I left him to agonize for about a minute and then told him I was kidding. It was great. I've never been able to pull something like that off before...and I probably never will again. But it was fun while it lasted.

No comments: