13 August 2012

Bikini-Clad Catholic?

A topic of hot debate: can girls concerned with modesty wear a bikini? Points of concern: the girls' dignity, the boys' eyes and imaginations. But for this Catholic girl, it really has always come down to one thing: they just aren't flattering.

Don't get me wrong, please. It's not that I don't think that girls have dignity and beauty (because they do). It's not that I don't think boys should view girls as lovable, not gawkable (I will personally slug any boy I catch gawking openly). It's not that I don't believe that boys have rather vivid imaginations (I just have to trust the ones I know... and the ones who deny that they're that way... well, I don't know any of them, so my clothing choices are really neither here nor there as far as they're concerned). But those subjects have been hashed and rehashed by people for years. And I mean years. Smart people, dumb people, extreme people (to both sides), girls, guys, Catholics, non-Catholics... people have a bit of an obsession with the modesty thing and I am not going to join on that band wagon. I am not going to approach this from moral grounds. I am going to approach this from my base female nature (by which I mean my instincts, not that I'm gross or a lower being or something).

The simplest reason that I don't want to wear them is that I look ridiculous in them. My Italian heritage has pre-determined too many things about my shape. It is not something I care to expose to the world. I like my tummy covered, thank you. Because it's not all that pretty. Honestly (no offense, ladies), I don't think most girls look fabulous in bikinis either. Sure, there are bikini models in the world. They look stunning and gorgeous. Maybe too gorgeous for masculine imaginations to handle. That said, most of us don't look like them. Right? C'mon.

So maybe, in the end, I am keeping myself covered to help the fellas'. And the gals, too. No one wants to see this.

No comments: